Allergies are one of the most common conditions that affect almost everyone on the face of the earth. There are countless types of allergies and innumerable allergens present in the environment. Though allergies aren’t fatal, they do create unpleasant situations for the individual suffering from the same. Allergies are triggered by an overactive immune system. The immune system is assigned the job of keeping the body safe from harmful elements that can enter the body and wreak havoc.
Usually, the immune system identifies harmful elements and creates antibodies to deal with these elements. However, in certain cases, the immune system mistakes a harmless element for a threat and creates antibiotics that start attacking the element, thereby triggering an allergic reaction when the inflammation sets in. We set this process in motion when the body comes in contact with allergens that are present in the environment. Pollen, dust mites, food, weather changes, etc. are some of the common allergens that trigger allergic reactions in people.
Though allergies cannot be completely cured, there are instances where people outgrow allergy symptoms. If this doesn’t happen to you, you need to look for remedies that can help curb the impact of allergy symptoms. Therefore, here are some amazing home remedies for treating allergy symptoms, and these are devoid of side-effects since they are completely natural.
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is one of the most trusted and effective home remedies that has proven itself useful in treating a plethora of ailments. Right from helping people in dealing with weight loss to controlling diabetes, apple cider vinegar is the go-to remedy since it is effective and completely natural. Apple cider vinegar is an effective remedy for allergies since it can reduce the mucus production and completely cleans the lymphatic system, and this helps in dealing with allergy symptoms.
- Quercetin – As mentioned earlier, allergies are the result of an overactive immune system. The antibodies produced by the immune system releases histamines that trigger allergies. In such cases, one can opt for Quercetin to control allergy symptoms. Quercetin is a natural bioflavonoid that is instrumental in stabilizing the cells from releasing histamine and thus averts a possible allergic reaction. Also, it is a highly potent antioxidant which can reduce the inflammation caused by the immune system.
- Neti pot – A neti pot is a highly effective home remedy that has proven useful while treating certain respiratory ailments. Using a neti pot can clean the nasal passages and get rid of the irritants and allergens present in it. While using a neti pot, ensure that the salt water you use is sterile, and all you have to do is pour this solution in one nostril and drain it out from the other nostril. This technique ensures that whatever is causing distress is flushed out from the nasal passage.
- Local raw honey – There’s nothing more appealing than a remedy that tastes good and helps you control your health condition. Raw honey is one of the popular home remedies for treating allergies. Raw honey contains bee pollen which is instrumental in keep infections and allergies at bay and boosts our immune system. Moreover, raw honey can increase your tolerance for the local pollen which is the most common allergy trigger known to people. So, consume a spoonful of honey when you begin your day.
- Stinging nettle – Stinging nettle has been a potent home remedy since ancient times. It was used as a diuretic to relieve joint pain and prevent fluid retention. Studies have proved that the stinging nettle leaf has the ability to control histamines, the allergy-causing agents, naturally. Stinging nettle is quite effective in treating insect bites, hay fever, joint pain, etc. So, do not hesitate to add some stinging nettle leaves to your morning tea.
- Probiotics – Probiotics are the good bacteria that aim to improve your gut health. It is common knowledge that a healthy gut promotes a stronger immune system, and a strong immune system wouldn’t easily react to allergens when they enter the body. Probiotics are instrumental in maintaining a bacterial balance in the gut, which, in turn, can reduce allergy instances. So, make probiotics a part of your daily diet, and work your way towards a healthy gut.
- Goldenseal – Goldenseal is a herb that even our ancestors used generously to treat a variety of gut-related ailments. As mentioned earlier, our gut health and the ability to ward off allergy symptoms are intricately connected. Goldenseal possesses the ability to strengthen our immune system and is antibacterial in nature; this ensures that bacteria-triggered allergies or health conditions, such as hay fever, are treated with further ado.
- Dietary changes – Let’s not overlook the fact that whatever we eat has a direct impact on our health. If your allergy is triggered by certain food types, it is advisable to avoid consuming it completely. Avoid sugary and processed foods since it disturbs the bacteria balance in the gut. Also, add more fresh vegetables and fruits to your diet since they are high in antioxidants and can strengthen your immune system.