The human body is quite sensitive to pain; be it a chipped nail or a toothache, it is enough to give anyone sleepless nights. People often overlook a toothache as a trivial problem, but when neglected, it can lead to greater problems. One such dental issue that is known to cause severe discomfort and pain to the individual unless it is treated is abscess tooth.
Abscess tooth occurs when pus pockets form in and around the roots of the tooth. This pus pocket is not formed overnight. The underlying cause of abscess tooth can be an infection of the gums, deep-rooted cavity or tooth decay, or a cracked tooth. Either of these can contribute to the onset of this painful condition. An abscessed tooth is a threatening condition since the infection can spread to the different parts of the body from the tooth. It can affect the jaws, neck, head, or other parts of the body.
Usually, a person with abscessed tooth has to undergo different procedures such as root canal, surgery, extractions, or is prescribed antibiotics. If you are someone who is overwhelmed by these painful medical procedures, you can always opt for home remedies. Home remedies are quite preferable since they are all-natural and devoid of side-effects.
So, here are some home remedies that can provide you relief from the abscessed tooth.
- Clove – One of the most vouched-for natural remedies for relieving different kinds of a toothache is clove. Clove is an amazing remedy even for abscessed tooth since it is bestowed with antiseptic, analgesic, and antibacterial properties. These properties are instrumental in reducing the toothache, inflammation, and soreness of the gums. You can dab a cotton ball in clove oil and hold it to the affected area, or you can place a whole clove between the cheek and the infected tooth. This would definitely help relieve the pain caused by the abscessed tooth.
- Garlic – The formation of pus implies an underlying infection, and any bacterial infection is bound to spread from the source to the other parts of the body. Therefore, you shouldn’t be surprised when the infection from the tooth spreads to the lymph nodes in the neck. To prevent the infection from spreading, you can always rely on the age-old reliable home remedy: garlic. Garlic possesses certain antimicrobial and antibacterial properties which can restrict the infection from spreading. So, either you can chew on a garlic clove or rub garlic oil on the affected tooth.
- Oil pulling – Oil pulling is perhaps one of the oldest tricks in the books when it comes to treating abscessed tooth. Since the situation in the mouth worsens due to the presence of bacteria, oil pulling aims to destroy the root of all problems. So, use extra-virgin coconut oil for this process; put 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil in your mouth and swish it inside for the next 15 minutes. Spit it out and rinse your mouth with warm water. This technique proves effective since it draws out all the toxins from the mouth.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) – Apple cider vinegar is one of the most potent home remedies you might ever come across. Right from treating diabetes to helping in weight loss, ACV has proven to be quite effective. ACV has proven to be quite useful in treating abscess tooth as well. It is anti-inflammatory in nature and possesses disinfectant properties which can reduce pain dramatically. So, put 1 tablespoon of unfiltered ACV in your mouth and spit it out after a few minutes. Rinse your mouth with warm water and repeat the process few times throughout the day.
- Hydrogen peroxide – Food grade, 3% hydrogen peroxide solution has amazing oral health benefits. It is an effective disinfectant and has antibacterial properties that are instrumental in inhibiting the growth of bacteria in the mouth and prevents it from spreading to the different parts of the body. It can reduce pain and inflammation and whitens yellow teeth, which is an added benefit. So, mix 2 tbsp hydrogen peroxide with 1 tbsp of warm water, and rinse your mouth with it. Spit this solution out completely and repeat this procedure at least thrice a week for better results.
- Peppermint – Abscessed tooth is characterized by the presence of excruciating pain caused by the presence of pus and bacteria. Whatever treatment method you opt for is directed towards cleansing the affected area of bacteria since it would cause the infection to spread. In such cases, you can always opt for peppermint as your choice of home remedy. Peppermint is bestowed with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that are instrumental in killing the infection causing bacteria and stopping the infection from spreading. So, dab some peppermint oil on a cotton ball and massage with it on the affected area.
- Black tea – Another popular remedy for treating abscessed tooth is using black tea for reducing the pain and inhibiting the growth of the bacteria. Black tea is known to be rich in antioxidants which are instrumental in keeping infections at bay and promoting oral health. Moreover, it possesses tannins which actively reduce pain and inflammation, and prevent the condition from worsening.